December 8th is Happy’s 3rd Death Anniversary. He had been with us for 14 years and in those days, I just couldn’t imagine life without him. It is safe to say that not a day goes by when I don’t think of him. His last couple of years had been rather difficult as he had developed diabetes and later became blind. The 7 days before he passed away were awful. He had lost the use of his hind legs and I rushed him to four different vets. They all gave him the wrong treatments which eventually led to his demise. The poor guy suffered a lot and I am not able to forget those 7 days. I was all alone at the time and didn’t have a single support system in place and was completely panicky. However, what happened right after he passed away was truly miraculous and there is no other explanation other than saying Happy orchestrated it to give us peace of heart. Happy was given the full Hindu cremation ceremony usually reserved for Hindu priests at Vrindavan, the birth place of Lord Krishna. He had four priests at his cremation chanting ancient Sanskrit verses to pray for his soul. Most humans only get one priest. It was such a beautiful ceremony and words cannot describe the magic in it. Nothing was planned and yet everything went off perfectly and easily.

However, the guilt still remains with me and my determination in not letting his death be in vain led me to create The Happy Foundation for Animals. I hope we can do our bit to ease the suffering of the animals in India through this foundation. You can read about our different projects and how you can support us on

December 8, 2010 was a very special day indeed again with no planning or effort on my part. In the last two months, I have been in touch with  a Goshala (cow shelter) near Vrindavan that looks after injured, sick and disabled cows. We have been trying to forge a working relationship to see how best we could help each other out. By a major sheer of coincidence, our meeting was fixed for December 8th. It also gave me a chance to go and visit Happy’s cremation site. Visiting the cremation site, I realised how lucky we were on the day that Happy had passed away. On that day, it was peaceful and beautiful and no interuptions in sight. When I went to visit the site last week, it was busy and bustling and felt quite different.

Thank you Happy.